Sunday, October 12, 2014

DIY: Hair Lightener!

One of my favorite things is DIY projects! I love making my own face and hair masks and trying out new ideas that I can easily make with the ingredients found around my house instead of paying money to buy some at the store. It is so much better for your hair and cheaper to make your own! So I have been trying for a while to grow my hair out. I went over two years without cutting my hair in hopes that it would grow out longer. BIG MISTAKE! After the first year my hair had grown very little because I would put heat on my hair everyday. I realized how dead my hair was and decided instead of doing the smart thing, cutting my hair, I would just cut out using heat on my hair. Now don't get me wrong that was a smart move! Not using heat has made my hair much healthier but, I still needed a cut! Finally after another almost year and a half, I cut it. I cut off about two to three inches. Now I am doing everything to make sure I don't damage my hair and I keep it healthy and continue to get trims fairly regularly.

Now I have very dark brown hair and I really want to lighten it! Dying your hair is awful for your hair! I'm not saying you should never do it, if your hair is healthy and you want a change, there is nothing wrong with adding color to your hair as long as you care for it properly after. After I cut my hair I did not want to do anything that could potentially damage it until I grew it out just a little longer. I decided to look into ways to naturally lighten my hair. The thing about DIY hair treatments is many don't work or they barley work and only a few people have luck with them. I tried to find a DIY that would work to lighten my hair and I found one that works pretty well. So this is my DIY to naturally lighten your hair. Enjoy! :)

Ingredients:

  • Chamomile Tea
  • 1 Teaspoon Honey
  • 2 Teaspoons Coconut Oil 
  • 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
  • 1 1/2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
  • Optional Olive Oil (This isn't to lighten but it is good to keep your hair soft and prevent it drying out)


The first thing you will need to do is brew your tea and let it steep for around five to ten minutes. After your tea is finished, pour the tea in to an empty spray bottle about half way or even a little more if you have enough. Next add the honey, coconut oil, lemon juice, cinnamon, and optional olive oil if desired. After you have everything in, place the lid back on and shake to mix the ingredients. Once everything is mixed, on second or even third day hair, dampen your hair and brush out before even distributing the spray throughout your hair. Then go soak up some sun! The lemon juice acts as an amazing hair lightener but only if activated by the sun. Stay out in the sun for a bit but I don't suggest more than an hour and a half and then just wash your hair! I did this once a week for about a month and saw results! I would just say to do it between once and twice a week until you see a difference. The darker your hair is the longer it will take to see much results, but like I said I had very dark hair and saw results in about a month. Give it a try and let me know your results! I hope you guys enjoyed and let me know what you think or if you have any requests! Thanks for reading!
Until next time, stay lovely!
-Montana Sky XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment