Friday, June 3, 2016

DIY: Hair Masks

Anyone who knows me well knows I have an obsession with hair. I have had long thick hair all of my life, here recently, I decided to cut a lot of it off. (My friends like to call it my Brittany Spears 2K16 moment) I was having a stressful week and decided it was time for something new. I have always been too scared to try something new but I absolutely love it now! The change was a really good one but I think I am going to start growing my hair out again (although I still have a while I can enjoy having short hair!) I am almost always trying new hair products and trying out all sorts of wacky combinations trying to find the perfect hair mask. So what was the perfect hair mask? To be honest I don’t think I have found “the perfect mask”.  Through trial and error I have found a few masks however, which did seem to stick out a lot to me. Like I said I have tried out MANY different masks but lets start out with just a few!

Coconut oil:
Okay so this is not only one of my favorites, but probably the easiest one as well! This is the only mask which I use on a regular basis. Now I have a whole post dedicated to coconut oil, (which you can check out here: http://montanashairandstyle.blogspot.com/2015/12/the-many-uses-of-coconut-oil.html ) so I really don’t want to go into too many details but I have seen such amazing results from this mask! I only do this mask about once a week, but it works amazingly! After I do the mask my hair feels amazing! When I had my hair long hair, it would almost look like the hair on one of those girls from a shampoo commercial. You know the ones with the unrealistically smooth, thick, shiny hair? I mean not really, but as close as I will ever come to that! The coconut oil makes my hair look silky and soft and I just can’t stress enough how beautiful it makes my hair look!  I have also used it on my scalp when it is flaky or sun burnt, when it is burnt I also add a little vitamin E oil and it makes a huge difference! So like I said it’s super easy, I take a little in my palm, you don’t need much, and I massage it into my scalp, slowly making my way through my hair. I then tie it in a bun (although it’s not quite long enough anymore so I just wrap it in an old towel) and I let it sit for a while. Generally I would say to do it for at least thirty minutes to give the oil time to work its magic! I then wash my hair and voila, beautiful, sexy hair! I promise you it works like magic! 

Honey and olive oil:
Okay so this one works really well too, although it can be a little messy! When I do this (once a month-ish) I take a microwave safe bowl and pour enough oil in it to cover my hair. I generally use olive oil but you could really use any oil you want. I then add a tablespoon or so of honey and mix it in before putting it in the microwave to heat up. Now you’re going to want to be VERY careful as it can get extremely hot very quickly. I usually set the microwave for a minute but take it out periodically to stir it and make sure it is not too hot. Once it is warm and it is mixed fairly well, I flip my head upside down and work the mixture through my hair, massaging it into my scalp with my fingertips. Again I like to let it set as long as possible while my hair is in a bun or wrapped in a towel. While the last mask was meant to make your hair soft and shiny, this mixture works really well if you have dry, brittle hair or dandruff. It does a really good job of creating stronger, healthier hair, which can reduce breakage. My hair used to be extremely dry and I would do this about once a week and it helped sooo much! Like I said this mask works well, but be prepared for a sticky mess!

Avocado, mayonnaise, almond oil/milk and banana:
Okay so I know what you’re thinking; that’s absolutely disgusting! And yes, you’re right it can be pretty gross but I love this mixture! This mask came a result of many failed masks I found online, I decided I liked these four ingredients in other masks but I hated all of the combinations I ever found, so I took matters into my own hands! Honestly, this mask and the coconut mask are probably my favorites! Each ingredient serves its own purpose, they all work together to make your hair look gorgeous! The mayonnaise is mainly just the base ingredient, however it is still helpful as it can make your hair softer! Now I strongly recommend making sure you get all of the tangles out of your hair before beginning, yes you should do this with any hair mask but this one especially because if it is not mixed properly, you could end up tangling your hair with clumps of some of the ingredients. So I pour enough mayo in a bowl to cover my hair and then add the banana. I take a fork and mash the banana until it is completely broken down into mush and then mix it into the mayo thoroughly until it is completely mixed and there are no lumps of banana. The banana is amazing for dry, brittle hair. It can moisturize your hair and help maintain frizz, which is a HUGE plus for me! It has vitamin B, potassium, and iron which all work together making a huge difference in your hair! Next is the avocado which you essentially just repeat the same thing you did with the banana. Mash it thoroughly until there are no more clumps and mix it into the mixture. Avocado is said to stimulate hair growth which is always a big plus but there are other benefits as well! The avocado’s main purpose is it makes your hair look and feel soft and silky. Anytime my hair is looking dead and flat it makes such a huge difference! My hair will look much healthier after this mask and a lot of that is thanks the avocado! It is full of vitamin B and E. Much like the banana, the avocado promotes hair growth thanks to its high level of vitamin E. Almond oil is a better option in my opinion but I generally use almond milk instead. Now don’t get me wrong I loveeee almond oil! I just don’t always have it lying around, I don’t use it all that much and let’s face it, I’m a broke college student it’s pretty darn expensive! It still has a lot of benefits though! I do prefer adding almond oil rather than the milk but as I don’t drink regular milk (perhaps a future post on the reasons why?) I do often times have almond milk and use that instead. Again much like the other ingredients, it has a lot of vitamin E (see why I choose all these items? Great for hair growth!) It also has a lot of proteins and potassium which is amazing for creating stronger hair!


Hopefully you guys enjoy these different hair masks, believe me I love them! If you have any other hair masks you enjoy tweet me (@thatonebloggger) or drop a comment below and maybe I will try it out! Thank you guys so much for reading and I will see yall next time! 

Until next time, stay lovely!
-Montana Sky XoXo

No comments:

Post a Comment