Saturday, July 19, 2014

DIY Sea Salt Texturizing Spray

So it is summer and during the summer I hate putting heat on my hair. It's already hot so why contribute to that that? During the summer I generally like to do my hair either natural or wavy. (My natural hair is a curly and wavy mess!) I either go natural or braid my hair the night before and let it out the next day. To me wavy hair is just a cute summery and beachy hairstyle. Now when I decide to go out with my natural hair, my hair never looks quite how I wanted it, it just ends up looking messy and random pieces start to go flat and loose volume. (Of course when I am staying home doing nothing my hair looks amazing cause that's my luck) I tried putting moose and gel in my hair but that did not really work. One day I read about something called sea salt texturizing spray. I googled it and tried to find a little more about it. I noticed that most of them were $7- $15. After I looked at the ingredients that just seemed like too much! I realized I could make this at home for much cheaper! So I experimented a little until i found the best results. Now when I make it, I tend to just start adding everything in without measuring but this past time I tried to measure it out to have a more precise post. There is an extra ingredient that is optional, which is the lemon/ lemon juice. This added ingredient is good for lightening up your hair. Normally my hair gets lighter during the summer but this year my hair looked so dark! If you want to lighten your hair this is a good, natural way to do it! There is one thing to keep in mind if you use the lemon juice. It will only work if you are out in the sun. The mixture of sunlight and lemon will naturally strip your hair of the chemicals making your hair darker. I use this spray anytime I will be outside for a while, even if I am only going for a run. So here are the ingredients for this spray! :

1 Spray bottle filled about half to three fourths of the way with warm water. (This will help dissolve the salt.)
1 1/2 Tablespoons sea salt (more will add more texture and less for less texture)
2 Teaspoons gel
2  Tablespoons leave in conditioner
3 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice or bottled juice (Optional)

       Now like I said I normally don't measure this out so you can add more or less of anything to your liking! :) The first thing you are going to want to do is find an empty spray bottle. You can either recycle an old spray bottle from an empty hair product or buy one. I had one from Walmart for about $2-$3. Next I took warm tap water and filled it about three fourths of the way up and then added the salt, lemon juice, gel, and leave in conditioner. I like to use a coconut scented one for this to have a beachy smell. Some people use regular conditioner for this product which is totally fine but I usually either only use the leave in conditioner or I will do half and half of the both of them. If want just random wavy natural hair then I take a shower and blow-dry only the roots to add volume. I then take the spray and evenly distribute it through out my hair and running my fingers through it to make sure it is distributed all over your hair. The other thing I love to do with my hair is spray my hair damp with the spray the night before and braid loose braids and go to bed. In the morning I take out the braids and run my fingers through my hair to loosen the waves. If I will be outside and I want the lemon juice to kick in I will lightly spray my hair once again with the spray and I am left with cute summer ready hair! I hope this helps some people out and you enjoyed! Let me know if there are any specific DIY recipe you would like me to try.  Remember to shake the bottle before each use! Thank you for reading!
Until next time, stay lovely!
-Montana Sky XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment